10 Things Debt Collectors Wish Consumers Knew About Them
So, being a debt collector is not an easy job, but let’s be honest… someone’s gotta do it. So next time you get a call because you owe someone money, try to keep these 10 things in mind;
- It’s uncomfortable for us too. Calling complete strangers and asking them to pay back money that they owe for something we had nothing to do with is not an easy thing to do. Trust us, you’re not the only one who feels uncomfortable about the situation.
- You hate us, we get it. I know, I know, you don’t like that I’m calling you right now, but you owe someone money and I’m just doing my job, so let’s work together to make this easy on both of us.
- We’re just like you. I’m a; brother, sister, mother, daughter, grandmother, best friend, etc. I’m not a police officer, I’m not a millionaire bank CEO, and I’m most definitely NOT Dr. Evil from Austin Powers with a hairless cat on my lap.
- We owe people money too. I don’t think I’m better than you in any way, quite frankly, I’m just like you. I have bills, I have debts, I have problems, and I’ve probably been on the other end of this phone call before.
- Death threats, bomb threats, yeah that’s what we deal with. The laws that protect consumers make it so that I can’t call you more than once a day, but people threaten to kill us, or that they’ll come down to the office with a gun, or that we should all die, just about every day. Calling you on Monday, and then again on Friday, is not harassment. Sorry, not sorry.
- This could be way easier, but… I know you have rights as a consumer, and I have no intention of violating those rights. That’s the reason you just waited five minutes for me to finish my disclosures before I could even tell you why I’m calling.
- We follow the laws you threaten us with. When I; have to verify your name and your social, can’t leave you messages about your account, can’t talk to your brother about it, or any other thing that would make this SO much easier, it’s because there are laws that protect you and as a result, make this more difficult.
- Just answer the phone, it’s that easy. The reason we call you so much is because you don’t answer. Try talking to us; it will make all the difference.
- If someone owes you money, don’t you call them? The whole “I’m never going to pay you so stop calling me” trick just doesn’t work. I mean if you lent money to someone and they didn’t pay you back, wouldn’t you call them? And if you called them and they said; “Don’t call me anymore I’m not going to pay you.” … Well, we’re pretty sure you’re just going to call them right back after they hang up on you. Think about it, you owe the money, all we can do is call you if you don’t pay us.
- I WANT TO HELP YOU! I’m a reasonable person, I am not the reason you are in debt, but I really want to help you get out of it. It’s easier for me to do my job if you work with me, and trust me, I want to work with you. You don’t have to like me, but I will do my best to help you.